Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Perfect Woman - James Andrus

The Perfect Woman was my debut foray into the world of e-readers, having received a Kindle Wi-Fi for Christmas last year. I'm ashamed to report that I'm only now (it is June, is it not?) reporting on the book.

A rather interesting story, in which a socially awkward man, who still lives at home with his ailing mother, is in search of the perfect woman. Perfection is defined as a specific height, weight, coloring, etc., which fit his "scientific experiment." The woman must have scientific value in order to become entangled in the twisted web woven by our sociopathic main character.

Overall, it was an interesting and well-written novel, if not a bit on the predictable side. Would I read it again? Yes. Will it win a Pulitzer? Most likely not.

As for the e-reader, I reluctantly admit that it has a place in my literary world. Make no mistake: it is not a book. I can't smell the ink or turn the individual page. I can't dog-ear a specific passage for easy location later (yes, I can "e"-bookmark passages). What I can do is compact an entire library of reading material into a very small space. Books tend to be less expensive in e-form, but not all reading material is yet available in this format. No doubt, it's only a matter of time. The biggest limitation, in my opinion, is that I have to wait until I'm at 10,000 feet or above to turn the reader on in an airplane, which seems to be the only time I find to read these days. Thus, I find myself carrying a traditional book with me when traveling to maximize the time I can escape between the pages.

No comments: