Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Luck or Something Like It - Kenny Rogers


Kenny Rogers is one of my favorite "old time" country crooners.  No one does a ballad quite like him.  His voice is melodic in a way so very few are; it is a voice created for duets - be it with the likes of Dolly Parton, Dottie West, Lionel Richie, Ronnie Milsap, or any number of others.
Ironically, I'm not a big fan of storyteller songs such as "Lucille" and "Coward of the County," which happen to be classic Rogers trademarks.  I am, however, a fan of originality, versatility, and talent - all of which I see in Rogers.  In fact, when Mike & I renewed our vows in 2007, we chose Rogers' "Through the Years" for our first dance.  Not necessarily our signature style, but it was appropriate and heartfelt.  Rogers himself admits that many of his songs are things "every man would like to say to a woman, and every woman would like to hear from a man."  Maybe that's why this song seemed appropriate for us at the time.  It just fit the bill.

Regardless of my personal appreciation for his music, I must admit this bio was a little disappointing.  While it wasn't the most poorly written work I've ever read, it also wasn't the best.  I found I was forcing myself to read passages just to get through them.  I also found myself thinking, "what an arrogant ***," on more than one occasion - the whole while, of course, thinking "but I still think I would like this guy in person." 

I'm not sure how that relates or translates, and perhaps I shouldn't over-analyze it!  I give Rogers kudos for perserverance, and for always chasing his dream.  Much of his success is a result of simply not considering failure an option - a valuable lesson each of us should take to heart.  I'll give this one a take-it-or-leave-it rating:  if you're not a true fan, you probably won't appreciate this book; if you are a true fan, you may still struggle. 

Guess in the end you just gotta
know when to hold 'em,
know when to fold 'em,
know when to walk away, know when to run . . .

No comments: