Saturday, April 7, 2012

From This Moment On - Shania Twain

Few modern country artists were as controversial as Shania Twain ... well, at least in her day. She definitely burst into the American country scene with a sound and style all her own. Of course, there are several artists today that make her look tame.

Not only does this bio cover her not-so-overnight-success story, it covers her dysfunctional family and difficult childhood, her musical career, and her recent divorce and remarriage. She's a very interesting woman with a colorful story.

Personally, there are a handful of Twain songs that I very much enjoy, but I was never particularly a fan of the persona she displayed. Reading the book, however, gave me a different perspective. Yes, she has a story, but recognizes that all of us have a story. She does not relate her tale in a manner that evokes (or attempts to evoke) sympathy, but instead a matter-of-fact, this is who I am and how I got here manner. She appears to be ever grateful for her blessings and cognizant of the truly important things in life.

I enjoyed this book much more than I expected, and have a new appreciation for the woman behind the stage persona.

No comments: